The sunflowers are opening!

So.. just gonna post some pics before taking a weekend off to head to the cottage and get out of this ridiculous heat wave. I was out watering the garden this morning.. because it has not rained here enough to mention in about a month.. I must say I am really grateful for the amount of leaf in my soil right now because it really hangs on to the water I put there. Leaves are one of the most absorbent things you can add to your soil, even better than peat moss! Last fall we managed to add about a million bags of leaves to the garden, so my soil is awesome. I didn't really occur to me just how awesome it was until I was trying to plant some flowers out front in that cement block I call my front flower bed. The soil there is SO different from what I have in the veg garden now. Inspired me to start adding more compost and manure to the front beds as well. Anyhoo.. on to the picture show!

This impressed me.. Some of my tomato plants have reached the top of their 6 foot spirals! These are the Cherokee Purple that I expected to not do as well as the Roma's that I planted for bulk..
Photobucket

and a view of the garden from where I usually take the pics at the back corner.. just to get an idea of how big everything is getting. Notice that my sunflowers are now almost completely blocking my use of my clotheslines.. I won't make THAT mistake again next year.
Photobucket

Now THIS little miniature tomato plant is possibly, no.. definitely..., the cutest plant in the garden. Notice how it is being dwarfed by blades of grass and carrots.. yet she is still pumpkin out little tomatoes! Those are cherry size tomatoes growing on a plant that is about 6 inches tall!
Photobucket

Now.. this is just sad.. this is one of my Roma tomatoes that was supposed to be giving me the bulk of my harvest to make up for the lesser productivity of the heirlooms.... (they are proving that wrong this year.. I think last year just sucked)
Photobucket
This is another Roma.. that sucks
Photobucket

In comparison... my heirlooms are doing ridiculously well! So I guess I shouldn't complain.. because they have far superior taste anyways.
Photobucket

I'm guessing that this is a Black Prince tomato just getting ripe. I hope so.. they make awesome sandwiches.
Photobucket

The corn is fully tassled and getting little silks all over the place! Notice that it is now dwarfed by the sunflowers.
Photobucket

My happy discovery this morning is that the sunflowers are starting to bloom! The sad part is that the neighbour I planted these for (she liked them last year) has moved away :(
Photobucket

See the problem I have with the clothesline? Can't hang anything longer than a t shirt on there now!
Photobucket

Now THIS is my fave pic of the day.. my pink lillies have opened! I LOVE these!
Photobucket

A pic of the box gardens so you can see how they're coming along.. That tall stalk of corn is getting tassles today too :) Impressive considering it was planted two weeks after the others.
Photobucket

I had no idea that I had these coneflowers in white AND purple!
Photobucket

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm just burnin doing the neutron dance!

a kudo's comic!